Summary about the Galapagos Islands
The Galapagos Islands in Ecuador are a unique heritage in the world, the main objective of the residents is to protect the home ecosystem of millions of marine and terrestrial species.
About the Archipelago of Colon
The best destinations and tourist attractions in the Galapagos Islands
The island with more economic and tourist activity, concentrates the largest number of inhabitants and houses the Galapagos National Park and the Marine Reserve.
Santa Cruz Island
In honor of Queen Isabela I of Castile, Isabela was born from the great fusion of 5 volcanoes that formed an invaluable ecosystem full of life, love, evolution.
Capital of the province of Galápagos and has the largest reserve of fresh water in the archipelago, this feature makes it the island with more bio diversity
San Cristobal Island
Home of the main airport in the archipelago of Colon, built by the United States at the time of the Second World War and is the perfect starting point for your trip
Fernandina Island is one of the youngest in the achipielago and has a high index of volcanic activity, you can even observe lava flows decendiendo among the rocks.
Access restricted to the public, however there are authorized agencies that coordinate visits and expeditions, its marine fauna and flora is explored by busos from around the world.
Here is an important population of blue-footed boobies and is ideal for exploration in the coastal profile and rocky areas.
Seymour Nort Island
It has two beaches of a length of 1300 meters, Gardner Bay and Manazanillo Bay where you will find sea lions, finches and top land turtles.
On the island live a large number of wild and domestic animals, here lived the “Solitaire George” a type of giant tortoise that is the main emblem of the Galapagos.
Wolf Island in the archipelago is considered a paradise for lovers and professionals of diving, its fauna and crystal clear waters, will make you live an unforgettable experience.
Santiago or San Salvador has a relatively small area in comparison to the other islands, its main tourist attraction is the diversity of marine and terrestrial creatures.
Baptized in honor of the first president of Ecuador “Juan Jose Flores”, its beaches hosted adventurous conquerors and feared pirates who sailed the Pacific Ocean.
Galapagos Islands the Insular Province
- Country: Ecuador
- Region: Insular
- Capital: Puerto Baquerizo Moreno
- Population: 26,640
Cantons of the Province of Galápagos
- San Cristóbal
- Santa Cruz
What is the largest island?
Isabela 4588 Km²
How many islands are there in Galapagos?
130 islands and islets
Is Galapagos a special regime?
The Insular region is made up of a Special Government Council, made up of the mayors of the 3 cantons, something similar to the Prefecture.
The jewel in the crown in ecological tourism of the world, the Galapagos Islands are a Natural World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve.
Rules of the Galapagos Islands
- The visits to the protected areas can only be made accompanied by a qualified Naturalist guide by the direction of the Galapagos National Park.
- Galapagos is unique and fragile, avoid causing alterations in nature.
- Take only spellings and video. Professional films need authorization.
- Keep a distance of no less than 2 meters from the fauna, so as not to alter its behavior.
- Only camping is allowed in certain places. If you wish to do so, you must request permission from the Directorate of the Galápagos National Park.
- Help us conserve the ecosystems, collaborating with the authorities in the tasks of inspection, monitoring and control. Report any anomaly.
- In the places of visit, stay inside the trails for their safety and that of the flora and fauna. Respect the signage.
If you offer souvenirs with Galapagos motifs made in coral, shells, sea lion teeth, turtle shell, volcanic stone. Do not buy them!
- The Galapagos fauna has its own food behaviors. Do not feed them; It can cause harm to your health.
- Do not write phrases on rocks, trees or walls, they alter the natural landscape of the islands.
- Do not throw garbage or waste. Put them in their place.
- Smoking and bonfires are prohibited in areas of the Galapagos National Park. They can cause serious fires.
- You can not fish. It is only allowed from authorized vessels.
- Do not introduce living organisms to the Island, as these cause negative impacts to the ecosystem.
- The use of Jetsky, submarines, jet skis and air tourism are not allowed.
The main source of income is tourism, Galápagos receives more than 185,000 tourists annually. Fishing, agriculture and livestock represent a much smaller percentage.
What species live in the Galapagos Islands?
There are about 7200 marine and terrestrial species that inhabit the islands in the Galapagos. It is estimated that up to 86% of the biodiversity described would already be inventoried.
Hundreds of vertebrate and invertebrate specimens unique in the planet, home of Charles Darwin and his theory of the evolution of the species.
In an unfavorable environment for vegetation only those plants with simple germination needs can be adapted in the different areas of the archipelago, where survival is the rule of each day.